Ready to change health care? IBM Watson Health uses Cognitive Computing to tackle some of health care most challenging problems - like revolutionizing how doctors research cancer or identifying new drugs to treat diseases. We have an exciting opportunity for a Design Researcher. Join the Watson Health Design team’s mission to build revolutionary health care products.
Our environment is ever changing and requires a candidate who is flexible, thrives in ambiguity, and can effectively collaborate across cross-functional groups and locations. We’re looking for Design Researchers with a passion for digging deep into user needs and solving real users’ problems. While the entire team is focused on doing what is best for the user, the Design Researcher is in many ways the “voice of the user” within our product teams.
Although Design Research will be your primary role, we’re looking for candidates with secondary skill in Interaction Design.
- Work closely with Design Team members, Product Managers and Developers to plan, design, and conduct Lean UX activities (in person and remote) in an Agile environment.
- Responsible for conducting user research activities to identify user needs and to inform persona development
- Leads hands-on workshops, brainstorming and participatory design sessions as appropriate
- Completes secondary research (market research reports, psychology whitepapers, previous user research, etc.) as a means to supplement primary research with real users
- Analyze and synthesize research in order to translate insights into actions and requirements
- Distill the inherent complexity and identify the right problems to solve
- Clearly and quickly deliver findings and recommendations to cross-functional teams verbally and visually through low-fidelity information radiators (process flows, diagrams, etc.)
- Create and maintain personas in order to build team empathy and use them in storytelling techniques
- Evaluate and validate early designs through regular usability testing of wireframes and clickable prototypes as well as published products
- Work with User Experience Designers, Visual Designers and Developers to ensure that research is conducted that will support design choices
- Be creative, curious, questioning, open to critique and have a ton of initiative
- Demonstrated knowledge of “design thinking”
- Demonstrated experience with research methodologies including primary and secondary research, interviews, usability testing (primarily remote) and surveys
- Translate research findings into specific, prioritized recommendations to improve product designs
- Tell a meaningful story about the user
- Written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to articulate alternative approaches and to present information
- Attention to detail
- Portfolio/work samples at any fidelity including:
- Information radiators such as personas, mental models, diagrams, etc.
- Visualizations of complex user experiences: flows, scenarios, etc.
- Early sketches to low-fidelity interactions (show your process)
- At least 3 years’ experience conducting user research with responsibilities and skills similar to the list above
- At least 1 year of experience in Secondary skill of Interaction Design
- At least 1 year of experience in Agile, Scrum and Lean
- Experience working on complex products with multiple user groups
Group ID: IBM WatsonHealth
Job Family: Not Applicable